Egg salad used to be one of my favorite sandwich fillings. After I learned that eggs made me sick, I just gave up some of those favorites for a long time. I was on a new journey to heal and eggs (as well as numerous other foods) were no longer my friends. I was really sad and struggled thinking I might starve without some of my favorite foods.
After the initial shock of food sensitivities wore off, I began experimenting and playing and soon learned there is a whole world of great foods out there that either mimic or sometimes just are different, yet delicious. I would say my egg salad is pretty close to what I remember. But then again, I have not had real egg salad in several years! Taste buds do change and adjust to new flavors. I am so thankful.
The below photo I have highlighted the main ingredient! Tofu! Surprise! Well, not really, tofu for egg salad is a pretty common sub. I used one block of tofu for this recipe. I use Trader Joe’s sprouted tofu, it’s my preference. Tofu IS on plan, it’s just not recommended for daily use.
As you can see, I drain the liquid off of the tofu, then I place the tofu in a clean towel. Roll that like a burrito! Nice and snug! Then I placed it in a bowl, then put another bowl on top with something a bit heavy, I used my container of chili powder. Let that set for about 10 minutes or so. It helps to draw more liquid out of the tofu, which is the goal.
To make this super simple salad, you will need your cheese grater. This is my tip for getting egg like texture in your finished product. After your tofu has sat and had more of the liquid pressed out, grate the tofu into a larger bowl for mixing.
You’re probably wondering what mayonnaise I use! Veganaise brand makes an on plan option that is egg free and tasty! The purple lid is an on plan option that I keep on hand for my mayo substitute.
All mixed together! Ready to serve!
I chose to top tomato slices, which was crazy delicious! I have big plans to enjoy this on my
Just Like Grandmas Rolls . I also think lettuce wraps would also be fabulous!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog! You will find affiliate links throughout, your purchase helps me keep my blog up and running and blesses my family! Thank you so much!
- 1 block tofu (my preference is sprouted)
- 1/4 cup veganaise mayo (purple lid is on plan)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to your taste, it needs plenty of salt)
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Drain tofu.
- Place tofu on to a clean towel, roll up like a burrito, nice and snug.
- Place in a bowl, place another bowl on top then add some weight, a bottle of water for example. Allow to sit and draw out more liquid for about 10 minutes.
- Grate the tofu into your mixing bowl.
- Add veganaise mayo and seasonings.
- Mix to combine and serve!
- You can add veggies if you like crunch in your egg salad, onion, celery would both be good. I prefer the basic simple recipe.
- ***Please disregard the nutritional information in the data below, I am looking for a way to disable that! It is not accurate! Thank you! ***