Meatloaf is a family favorite. We could probably eat it once a week, and have no leftovers if everyone is home! Seriously I have 5 adults to feed, these people can eat! Good thing I can cook! LOL! I have been working hard to create more Instant Pot recipes to share with you all, I have to say, I really do LOVE my instant pot! If you have not purchased yours, check this one out here at Amazon through my affiliate link:
For this particular recipe, I would say I needed less than 10 minutes prep time and my meatloaf was ready to be put in the IP so it could do it’s thing! For a side idea, since this is a low carb or S meal if you are following Trim Healthy Mama, I added a side of lima beans, cauliflower and peas all with butter of course! This would be wonderful with a delicious side of mashed cauli! Probably my favorite way to eat it! Who doesn’t love meatloaf and mashed “taters”??
So to prep this I added about 1 cup of water to my IP, I sprinkled in a 1/2 teaspoon of thyme right into the water so it would be fragrant as it steamed. Turn on the saute feature now, it will help your IP come up to pressure faster if the water is hot! This is a great tip to get things cooking faster!
Next I placed the rack in the water, then took a piece of foil, folded it into a square and laid that on the rack. I now have a surface for my meatloaf and the rack gives me handles to be able to remove it. Easy peasy!
Now, mix up that meatloaf! I do this in my Kitchenaid stand mixer, so easy to throw it all in their and let it do the work for me. Of course, by hand works great too. Just don’t overwork the meat or you could end up with a tough meatloaf.
By hand, form a nice loaf, mine was almost a giant meatball, that I flattened out some when I placed it on the foil in the IP. I didn’t want it to touch the edges, I wanted plenty of room for the steam to surround it, so be sure to leave some space around it.
Now, place that lid on, set for high pressure, 30 minutes and walk away! Go get those veggies going (on low), then go and relax for a few! You have some free time now! You are welcome! 🙂
This is your finished meatloaf!
So easy, super yummy and really, pretty quick for meatloaf! I did allow this to sit for 5 minutes after the timer went off, then quick released the rest of the pressure, opened it up, pulled it out and cut into triangles. We enjoyed ours topped with a drizzle of on plan ketchup.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (these two go into the liner of your IP
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (please don't skip this!)
- DONT FORGET YOUR IP LINER! 🙂
- Pour 1 cup water into the liner of your pressure cooker. sprinkle in the dried thyme.
- Place rack in the water (the one that comes with your IP), fold a piece of foil into fourths and place on top of rack for a place to set your meatloaf.
- Mix together the ground beef and all seasonings including liquid smoke.
- Form into a ball, flatten slightly. Place on the foil in your pressure cooker. Flatten a little more, but keep it from touching the edges. Put the lid on your cooker, make sure it is set to seal.
- Press manual, adjust time to 30 minutes high pressure. Walk away mama. That's it. If you have a salad ready to go, dinner is done. Enjoy your cooking time. 🙂
- When cooker beeps, wait 5 minutes, then carefully release the rest of the pressure. Remove meatloaf on the rack with hot pads, transfer to a cutting board and slice! Dinner is served! Enjoy!
- ***Please disregard the nutritional information on this form, it doesn't reflect accurate THM information. This is a low carb, THM S meal. Enjoy it!